Sunday, November 18, 2012

Brasc0


Today I had the pleasure of taking pictures of James aka brasc0 (on Soundcloud). The music of the talented rapper touches on all sorts of social and political matters with clever lyrics and catchy beats. I seriously love listening to it personally, though he can be very faaast...

It probably was the funniest and most laid back "photo session" that I've ever had. Photo session in quotation marks because we didn't actually spend much time outside, just took some quick shots. But considering that I rarely photograph guys I must say I did enjoy the way he didn't take himself so seriously and mocked some of his own photos...

Genuinly though, he is a fantastic rapper and invests so much of his energy working on his music. I admire the way he balances his time with not only his music, but also engages in a serious commitment to basketball and, of course, his academic life. That's the spirit I am looking for, hard work!

Say whatever you want about rap music, maybe you don't think you've liked it much in the past, but brasc0's music is definitely worth checking out. My favourite ones are "Honest Ideas" and "Living in Harsh Times". Emphasis is definitely on the lyrics, they resonate so much with our daily lives, so listen carefully :)

These photos are also the start of the 365-day photo challenge that I want to undertae - so popular among  amateur photographers. Haha. 









I'm grateful for getting to know someone so dedicated. The first time I actually saw James rapping with my own eyes was Friday night when we went out. A couple of us decided to take the bus to the club, 'cause we're cheap like that. Anyhow, it was drizzling and darn cold, but I didn't really notice it too much because as we were walking to the bus stop someone started beatboxing and James started rapping to it. It was amazing. Even in my tipsy state of being I was blown away that he was actually doing it. It got even better in the bus when there was a crowd of other students in the back who were all really loud but jointly silenced as soon as James did his rapping and the others their beatboxing.
And because I lack all sort of inihibition when it comes to dancing, I think I was basically just moving to the beat. Hahaha...
Such a cool night and perfect end to a really good week, finally (after all those difficult weeks)

Moments like that make me regret not carrying around my camera 24/7! Haha, as if that's even healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment