Friday, July 13, 2012

Teach me how to breathe

Some time ago my cousin told me a sweet and possibly made-up love story: when John Lennon wanted to get married to Yoko Ono, and she initially appeared somewhat hesitant, he simply took her hands and said to her: you teach me how to breathe, Yoko. Maybe those weren't the exact words he said to her. Maybe it wasn't even John Lennon saying it. It could have been the title of some band or song or just words from somewhere that wouldn't leave my memory. Point is, I immediately fell in love with the idea. Thus, it became the title of my blog.

Just think about it: breathing in and out is a continuos process (air is inhaled, rib cage expands, diaphragm contracts, and the opposite occurs when we exhale). While we all naturally under go it, we rarely focus our attention on it. Yet, it is such an important process that if we ever were to fully stop doing it, this would mean the end of our lifetime. And yet we all take said breathing for granted. So by telling Yoko she teaches him how to breathe, to me, it connotes this idea of learning to appreciate even the littlest things we experience and sense in life to be able to live to our fullest potential.

I thought it was rather beautiful - especially since it seems that the rapid advances in technology nowadays have enabled us to often live without much thinking and questioning and we have gotten used to the materialistic ideas that the media cunningly likes to confront us with so that we forget what it is like to be without our instruments of infinite accessibility, what it is like to just sit in the forest by yourself and read a book or watch worms creep out during heavy rains. 

Enough of my philosophy, and more about the intentions of creating a blog: I felt guitly for posting so many of my photos on facebook and perhaps spamming people's lives with futile visual information that I thought I could have a go at documenting more about my oh-so-interesting-life on here. Haha.

Knowing me, it probably won't have much of a lifetime. But I've wanted to keep an online diary anyway for a while now, and since there are big changes going on in my life at the moment (taking a big step on the career ladder by leaving High School and moving to University) and, in addition, having my friends live abroad due to attending an International School for two years, I thought it wouldn't harm to document it on here. 

If you are still reading, know that your patience is very much appreciated. I always seem to digress of what I originally plan to write, bu Finally, I welcome you to this construction of what will hopefully (probably not) be a château of memories. Anyway, have a lovely day!

Your D

Aaaaand, since we were talking about John Lennon anyway: here are some pictures I took with Max last week. The first one reminded me of Lennon (but I guess it's just the shape of the spectacles/goggles/ whatever-they-are).





1 comment: